Tuesday 31st October Discussion Group - 5:00pm Session

Tonight session was a very lively one with 15 of use all joining together to discuss issue we'd been having and topics we had been thinking about.

Main Points of discussion I took from were:
>Unpaid work (brought up by Arghierenia)- we discussed the worth in doing this for a credit for a CV against the loss of income and allowing this kind of work to continue, as rarely in any other profession do you spend so much money training up for a job and then be expected to work for free or for a discounted price in order to improve your career path. Matt L added that often his friends ask him to do them a favour by mixing music for them and how to judge if it is worth doing this or if by doing this you are dampening your worth as an artist.
>Perfectionism - how to manage being your worst critic and not stopping yourself from being creative out of fear. This is something I brought up as it is something I struggle a lot with. I have gotten used to it in a practical field and now use it to my advantage but I need to look at it in more depth and figure out how to transfer this to my academia.
>Enquiry Work - it was interesting for me to hearing about some of the module 2's work at the moments and their enquiry work. It was interesting to hear about what is the next development for the course and the topics each person had decided to enquire into.
>Different kinds of thinkers - we were talking about writing our essay drafts for each of our prospective modules and how to approach them. This brought about how each of us thinks and reflects on things differently - some people finding it easier to develop ideas by writing things down and then going back and adding to them each time, others preferring to read about something and then go away and do something (Adesola said about someone she knew cooking to help her think) and I think I finally concluded that for me talking through topics is best how I find out my views. I find that if I read up on material and then discuss them with someone I eventually find the best way of explaining myself and my views; again going back to the idea of being avoiding perfectionism more by being practical.

Let me know what you think of these topics or if you were in the session, what you took from each point too or if there were other points that stood out to you more?


Matthew



Comments

Popular Posts